Friday, May 14, 2010

The Hills Are Alive.....

Spring flowers are appearing in the hills and meadows. I love the flowers of spring. I love flowers, period. A bouquet on my kitchen table brightens my day. After dreary winter days, new green leaves on the trees and budding flowers in the garden are welcome sights. I was feeling a little low one cloudy spring day and couldn't wait for my garden flowers to get big enough to cut so I bought myself a little bouquet. They lifted my spirits immediately. My husband is too practical to buy cut flowers because they " just die and it is a waste. " "If I could just get him to understand how uplifting and happy flowers make me feel", I told a friend one day. Well, she must have gotten him to understand because today he came in from a hike in the hills and pulled this little clump of flowers from his pocket. Amazingly they looked perfect. "They didn't have any stems," he said, "they were just sitting on the ground." It doesn't matter that they don't have stems, they are beautiful. They can't go in a vase since they don't have stems but they go perfect in a saucer. They are sweet and so is my husband.
It's all I have to bring today, This and my heart beside,
This, and my heart, and all the fields, and all the meadows wide.
Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! I feel just the same about flowers. I love em! Even if they do die...

    I also have to tell you that I often save your comments for days because they bless my heart so much! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming post!

    I love cut flowers, too -- and thankfully my husband got that message a long time ago, and often brings home a casual $3 bouquet from the supermarket; that's enough to please me!

    My mother thought cut flowers were sad, because they would "die." But I feel they are fulfilling their destiny, by brightening and beautifying their surroundings. It's their mission; we all have mission.

    My grandmother, though, loved cut flowers. She would skip buying lunch on shopping trips to New York City, in order to afford to bring home an armload of beautiful blooms for her house. I guess I take after her.

    Love the little saucer flowers - very pretty!
    Best wishes,
    Cass

    ReplyDelete